Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Another Harvard Blog » Lady Luck Comes Through For Big Poker Wins

I’ve never been one for superstitions. I’ve always considered myself to be someone that operates on logic and facts. I think that’s why I’ve always enjoyed playing cards. It’s never been about winning money for me; it’s the thrill of using a little logic to shake up superstitious poker players. It seems like everyone that I’ve ever played poker against has had some kind of good luck charm, superstitious ritual, or something that they were sure brought them luck. That’s just never made sense to me.

A Logical Poker Player

My dad showed me how to play cards when I was just a kid. It was fun and we would play for pennies. Dad always said that every man should know how to play cards, and he made sure that his oldest son was a regular card shark. He always taught me to rely on logic and common sense, and it served me well growing up and into college.

I started classes at Harvard a few years ago. Everyone in my hometown was so impressed that I was going to such a great school. I have to admit that I am proud of myself that I made it here too. I’m getting a great education and graduating next year is going to look great on my resume. My favorite part about being at school was always Friday night poker games with my buddies. It was almost always assumed that I would win, and I usually did.

Enter Lady Luck

My girlfriend used to come along to every poker game and hang out with me. My buddies would always joke that she was my “Lady Luck”. I think they said this just to get a rise out of me. They knew how I felt about superstition and mentioning her being some kind of good luck charm, always got me a little flustered.

Unfortunately, my girlfriend withdrew from school, due to some family issues, last year. I continued going to Friday night poker, but the strangest thing started happening – I started losing, all the time. I lost 10 weeks in a row after she left and I just couldn’t figure it out; I was playing the same way I always had, using logic, but wasn’t winning a single hand.

Lady Luck Goes Wireless

One night as we were playing, and I was losing again, my girlfriend started texting notes to me on my phone. I was going back and forth with her and I started to win. My buddies accused me of using my phone to cheat and I told them that I was just texting my girlfriend. Then they said it, “She really is bringing you Lady Luck! Look at the hands you’ve been getting!” I had to admit that they were right; for the first time since she left I was actually winning again. I asked her to keep texting me every 10 minutes; she did, and I won! Big time!

It’s funny but I guess I am one of those superstitious poker players now, I have to be on the phone or texting with my girlfriend to win anything, even when I play poker online. Being the logical thinker I am, I tested different gambling scenarios with her on the phone and without, and every time I had her on the line I would win. So it turns out that I have been wrong all these years, there really is something to Lady Luck. It just took me a long time to figure it out.

During spring break, I am finally going to see my girlfriend after being apart for a long time. She knows how much I miss her and how much good luck she has brought me when I play poker. She really surprised me when she suggested that we take spring break in Vegas. I think she’s on to something. I plan on asking her to marry me when we are ought there. Knowing what I know now, there is no way that I am going to let Lady Luck get away from me.

Posted via web from fourleafclovergoodluckcharms's posterous