Wednesday, February 9, 2011

True Woman | Are You Treating Jesus Like a Good Luck Charm?

9 comments

Erin Davis

Are You Treating Jesus Like a Good Luck Charm?

Posted on 02.03.11 by Erin Davis
Topics: Relationship with God

I’m not much of a sports fan so when I sit down to catch a game with my husband or head to the ballpark with my two boys I tend to pay attention to anything but the plays. Maybe that’s why I noticed that when things go well, a lot of athletes point up.

I think I understand what they are trying to say. Pointing skyward after a killer play or big score has become a symbol for giving God the glory. I get that they are trying to thank God for giving them the talent and ability to compete. But I notice no one ever gives God credit when they stumble, fall, or fail. They all seem to be depending on Him to help them succeed. It’s as if He’s their good luck charm.

I’m not an athlete (maybe that’s why I’m not much of a fan) but I’m just as guilty of treating Jesus like a good luck charm. When I want to do well, want things to go my way, or even want to succeed for my own glory, I sometimes run to Him like I would a lucky rabbit’s foot or pre-game ritual. And when life throws me a curveball, I find myself wondering “Where were you on that one Jesus.”

I know I'm not alone. In fact, when I traveled the country talking to teenagers doing research for Lies Young Women Believe, most girls told me that their prayer lives reflect the belief that God should fix their problems. Instead of creating a balanced prayer life that includes praise, thanksgiving, listening, and confession, most of them told us they tend to simply offer God a to-do list. In other words, they count on Him to make things go their way. I recently heard LYWB co-author Dannah Gresh say she believes "God should fix my problems" is the biggest lie young women believe. I tend to agree.

I can see how this lie starts to form in our hearts. God does tell us that we can talk to Him about the circumstances of our lives and even gives us permission to ask for things to go our way.

Philippians 4:6 says, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”

If it’s okay to pray in every situation, then certainly we can pray for God to change our circumstances. But it is important to keep in mind that God is more interested in changing us to be a reflection of Christ than He is with solving all of our problems. If the chips are down in the game of life, it doesn’t mean that God’s power has worn off, it simply means that in His sovereignty, He has chosen to use difficult circumstances to make us more like Him.

One writer, Kyle Idleman, put it this way, “In the Gospels Jesus never seemed too interested in fans. Is that how you define your relationship with Him? An enthusiastic admirer? Close enough to Jesus to get the benefits but not so close to require sacrifice? There’s got to be more than just going to church, praying when in a jam, and volunteering at a shelter.

Maybe Jesus is okay with the fact that I’m not a fan. (I’m not talking about sports anymore). I know He wants me to move beyond seeing Him as a superhero I give a shout out to every once in a while or a genie I depend on to make sure life goes my way. Yes, He wants me to ask for help with the details of my life, but He also teaches me that He is still in charge and He is still good even when my life isn’t going as I’d like it to.

How about you?

Do you spend most of your prayer time asking God to make you the star of your own life? Do you give Him the glory when things are going great but not when you’re circumstances are tough or your abilities limited? Are you a fan of Jesus who points toward Him when the road is smooth, or a follower who adores Him in all circumstances?

Is Jesus your good luck charm or the God you trust in all circumstances?

Share |

Comments

  1. Thank you for this reminder. God has been teaching me something similar...it is not about the here and now, it is all about the there and then. We are being prepared to be presented as His bride...we are in the process of receiving "beauty treatments" (think Esther)...being refined, like silver...so we will be ready on that day. I am learning to trust Him in all circumstances, bending and yielding to His perfect process. I want to be ready!

    posted by Karen
    on Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 7:31 am
  2. I agree with Karen! It is His plan to change us and make us into His image. He IS coming back for a PURE bride (the church) How can we be made pure if we are not put through trials and tests? These are the things which change us, not sitting back on our earthly thrones begging God to deliver us from all evil and from the negative in this life. I, too, have been learning to yield, trust and praise Him in ALL circumstances and to give Him my heart and not expect a quick fix for every problem that comes my way. He will bring enough blessings into our lives as He sees fit to do. I always remind myself that "in due time" we will reap what we sow and God will give us exactly what we need according to His will...

    posted by Bee
    on Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 8:54 am
  3. Yesterday I came across a couple of blogs that mentioned the need that Americans have to be in control. We want to avoid defeat. Erin, your post has the same theme. It is hard to let go of our vision of our life. During the times that my life seemed out of control and hard things happened, I learned more about God. The Psalmist gives us a good example of being in a continual conversation with God. Our heavenly Father wants us to know him and trust him as he refines us. David, the Psalmist, is called "a man after God's own heart".

    posted by Carol
    on Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 9:24 am
  4. Just read right before this from my devotional, Jesus is less interested in the right circumstances than in the right response to whatever comes our way.
    Right circumstances don't help us change into the likeness of Christ. He said we will have tribulation in this world, but we can be of good cheer, we can rejoice, we can have hope because HE has overcome this world. Because of that, we can point to Christ in those failures or in those bad circumstances and say, "I love you Lord. I'm going to praise you no matter what and I have hope in the fact that you said that all things work together for our good."

    posted by C
    on Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 9:26 am
  5. That's a great word for this generation, Erin! I'll be passing this on to our teens and others in our church to read. Thanks!

    posted by Tisa
    on Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 9:37 am
  6. In my earlier days, I fit firmly in the category of people wanting a good luck charm. I always wanted things to go "my" way. I was also under the (mistaken) assumption that when I was in a "close" relationship with the Lord that "my" way and His way would line up.

    Number 1, at that time, I didn't have a clue what a close relationship with God was. (I think, still, I'm only beginning to scratch the surface.) But I've come to learn that its not about how well things are going for me. Its all about God and what brings Him glory. What I had to realize is that I may be in a right relationship with Him, but still have to face some tough things. It doesn't necessarily mean that I've done something displeasing, or that I didn't pray "hard enough" for another outcome. The Bible talks in many places about God refining us with fire. That doesn't really sound pleasant no matter how you think about it. But is is still "good".

    Another thing that I had to learn was that I was working with the wrong definition of "good". God's idea of good and mine weren't lining up.

    I garnered a great deal of help from reading books by Elisabeth Elliot. God has given that woman such great insights, and I praise Him for sharing them with me through her writing.

    The post by C reminded me of what Jennifer Rothschild said in her talk at the True Woman 10 conference at Chattanooga, "It may not be well with your circumstance, but is it well with your soul?" (this is not an exact quote)

    posted by Jacki M.
    on Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 11:16 am
  7. This is a fantastic post.

    posted by Jennifer
    on Saturday, February 5, 2011 at 6:11 pm
  8. I think Lies Young Women Believe is great! I lead a middle school girls' group at church and I too, have found that it's very important to know what goes on in these young ladies' minds. It has unfolded during our time together that most of them were led to Jesus, literally. As young children they were given a version of Jesus that entitled them to have an all-powerful God at their beck and call. More a promise of a magical ending, than a lifestyle of godliness they would need to adopt once they had accepted the gift of salvation. Many of these girls have decided they may not truly be saved as they aren't even able to vocalize what being saved means, other than to say they "accepted Jesus." We now focus our time together on learning the Gospel Message and studying the books following that teach us what God desires our lives to look like. Girls are now determining whether they want to accept Jeus and how that will change their life. It is having a genuine and lasting impact on them that goes far beyond kneeling by someone as they lead you to Jesus.

    posted by Tammy Rhoden
    on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 9:09 pm
  9. Great post, I will share it on my blog...

    posted by 4 leaf clover
    on Wednesday, February 9, 2011 at 5:53 am

Leave a Comment:

We love hearing from you, and will post your comment as long as it is appropriate, and is written in a tone that is encouraging, edifying, and loving to others. Even then, know that the following comments do not necessarily reflect the views of Revive Our Hearts.