Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Praying for Goodluck in 2011

Praying for Goodluck in 2011

| Print | E-mail

Written by Dr Ben Ajayi Thursday, 24 February 2011

AS I walked along the sparsely lit corridor towards the grass lawn, it was increasingly becoming difficult for me to see my way through so I decided to perch on the nearest garden chair. I looked up to the dark moonless sky; there was not a single star in sight. Tonight of all nights, where have all the stars gone? And why has the moon conspired with the electricity company to deny a farewell to the outgoing year and welcome the new one? I asked myself.

I soon lapsed into deep thoughts. My mind went to the predictions for the year 2010. I asked myself, “How many of these predictions have come to pass?” As I was tugging at my memory, trying to recollect and recount, a little boy passed me by. I had with me some boxes of chocolates and I offered him one. He took it, smiled at me and walked away. Something was clearly wrong.

“He is not too young to appreciate a bit of kindness and say “Thank you”? I said to myself. I was to repeat the experiment in giving with four more children. Only one grunted, “Thank you.”

The last one taught me the lesson of my life. He was just about five years old. He took the box of chocolates, gave me a big hug and then he did what was totally unexpected. He dipped his hand into his pocket, fished out a piece of candy and gave it to me. “Papa you may have this,” he said and ran off to meet his mum who was waiting just a few feet away. Stupefied, I called out to his mother, “Why has he given me this?” “That is his favourite candy and the very last one. You must have touched him in a special way to make him part with his favourite candy. Ordinarily he would have just added it to the one in his possession,” his mother explained.

This little gesture changed my line of thought for the night. A little boy giving something dear to him as a way of showing gratitude for an unsolicited gift! Giving is wonderful thing and what we do best. It is natural action that is designed into us as human being.

Research has shown that giving is one of the best things we can do for ourselves, as well as others. Virtually all successful and happy people have discovered the secrets of giving. The gratitude shown by the little boy reminded me of something very important. When you give someone receives! And it behoves that someone to remember to say “Thank you.”

The Yorubas are, perhaps, one of the most generous and effusive in saying "Thank you." A Yoruba man would say THANK YOU immediately after a good turn and as many times as he runs into you that day. The following day, he will say eseunana" (thank you for yesterday's favour) and subsequently, "eseunojo" (thanks for the favour of the other day).

As a young man, I used to wonder if the appreciation was not too exuberant and out of proportion to the favour received! But now I know better. I know you can never really thank anyone enough for any favour so generously bestowed; I know that behind the exuberant appreciation is a subtle message that more is expected tomorrow; I know above all, that there's a depth of love captured in those words that can only be brought to the fore subtly with repetition.

Therefore on behalf of YOU AND EYE, I would like to say THANK YOU, the Yoruba man's way, with all the intended sentiments and expectations to all my readers and donors to the cause of eye care in Nigeria during the past year.

We cannot really thank you enough for your love and generosity. Unknown to you, your little gifts have changed the lives of many people. You have been active miracle men and women.

And if you don't receive a repetition of this note of appreciation every hour; every day for the next 365 days, it is not because I have deviated from the traditional Yoruba style of conveying the message but because I have written it with today’s technology that ensures that it stays permanently in your heart and mind. And I expect you will do more in the year.

Comments (0)Add Comment

Write comment


busy