Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Supercuts Behind The Scenes In Vancouver With Ryan Malone

Supercuts Behind The Scenes In Vancouver With Ryan Malone

Posted: 1:53 pm EST February 1, 2010Updated: 3:49 pm EST February 9, 2010

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh native Ryan Malone will be representing the United States at the 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver.

The Tampa Bay Lightning star forward is making his Olympic debut and has joined forces with Channel 11 News and Supercuts. He'll be supplying exclusive pictures and videos to WPXI.com throughout the Olympics.

Ryan, in his second season with the Lightning and his sixth in the NHL, is on pace for his best career season. He scored a career-high 27 goals and 51 points in 2007-08 with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Ryan, the son of former NHLer Greg Malone, is a power forward who brings size and scoring ability to the U.S. team.

Ryan Malone

Ryan Malone

"I'm so excited about everything and just being a part of it," Ryan told WPXI.com's Jessica Fera. "I've heard it's everything you imagine and then 10 times more. It will be great to stay in the village and I feel so much pride in representing my country. I think it will be cool to meet some of the other athletes and I hope to have time to catch some of the other events, too."

Ryan grew up in the Steel City after his father spent much of his NHL career with the Penguins. Greg Malone later played for several other teams, but the family remained in Pittsburgh where Ryan attended Upper St. Clair High School. After he retired, Greg became a talent scout for the Penguins.

"Ever since I was a little kid, I was always running around in a little hockey helmet and loved the game, so I've been very privileged," Ryan said.

Ryan and his wife, Abby, now have a son of their own. Will is 2 years old and the couple is expecting their second child in April 2010. Ryan said he's excited for his family to join him in Vancouver to watch him play.

"This is really a time that I look back at all of the people who have helped me along the way. I'm so thankful for everyone who has helped me become the player I am today. People like my family, my mom, who always drove me to those early morning practices, and the coaches, some of whom I've lost touch with since leaving Pittsburgh," Ryan said.

Ryan was drafted by Pittsburgh in 1999, when his dad was still a scout, and started his career with the Penguins in 2003-04. After the 2007-08 season, when the Penguins lost to the Detroit Red Wings in the Stanley Cup final, he was traded to Tampa Bay as a restricted free agent, and signed a seven-year deal with the Lightning. At the same time, his dad was hired as head pro scout for the team.

Ryan said while he has high hopes for his new team, he still misses his hometown.

"Leaving was hard; harder than I though," Ryan said. "You don't realize it until you're gone. It was weird seeing a different logo. I was so used to seeing the Penguins logo everywhere. Especially since we came so close to winning the cup, I think it was harder to leave. But everything happens for a reason and hopefully maybe I'll finish my career in Pittsburgh someday."

Ryan said he is looking forward to playing with former teammates Brooks Orpik and Ryan Whitney on Team USA. Ryan is also looking forward to going up against some former teammates; Sergei Gonchar and Evgeni Malkin were named to the Russian team while Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury were tabbed by Hockey Canada. Ryan said these former teammates are still his current friends.

"I still keep in touch with the guys," Ryan said. "I go to dinner with them, with Fleury, whenever I'm in town. The Olympics should be a great experience for everyone."

Malone has played at two World Championships for the U.S. team in 2004 and 2006. He won a bronze medal in 2004, scoring three goals in the tournament. In 2006, he played on a line with fellow 2010 Olympians Dustin Brown and Phil Kessel. Malone scored two goals and had two assists in seven games.

While Ryan is known for his strength on the ice, Pittsburgh fans also knew Ryan for the colorful tattoos he sported off the ice.

He and his wife have matching rose tattoos, but they did not get each other's names tattooed.

"We didn't want to jinx it," Malone said.

He and his brother, Mark, have matching tattoos of the family's Irish crest. He also has several others: a four-leaf clover, a Celtic cross, a horseshoe for good luck. Malone also said there are more coming, including possibly an Olympic tattoo, since he made the team.

"I just hope to go up there and make everyone proud," Ryan said.

You can catch Ryan and all of the Olympic excitement on Channel 11 starting Feb. 12.


E-Mail Newsletter: Get The Latest News Sent To Your E-Mail!
Mobile: Get WPXI Headlines On Your Phone, iPhone, More
RSS: Add Us To Your Page!

Copyright 2010 by WPXI.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

"He and his brother, Mark, have matching tattoos of the family's Irish crest. He also has several others: a four-leaf clover, a Celtic cross, a horseshoe for good luck. Malone also said there are more coming, including possibly an Olympic tattoo, since he made the team."

Do you have yours?

Posted via web from fourleafclovergoodluckcharms's posterous