Thursday, April 28, 2011

Feeling luckier, one charm at a time

Lindsey Poisson
Advertisement
-->

It's not that I'm superstitious -- although I take great care in avoiding cracks in the sidewalk. I just figured I'd have nothing to lose by trying to introduce a bit o' luck into my life.


I considered the obvious options: a rabbit's foot (kind of gross); a four-leaf clover (I might look for one if I didn't know my neighbors don't always clean up after their dogs); a horse shoe; or eating Lucky Charms cereal every morning (but I'm actually more of a Fruity Pebbles gal).


Hence my newest -- and quite possibly my most cosmic-altering -- accessory: a charm bracelet.


So ... now what? Is the luck automatic? Am I good to go?


I'm guessing a lucky-charm bracelet is only as good as the charms you put on it. My collection so far is small but meaningful: An agate, which is a reminder of childhood days spent agate hunting along the beaches of Lake Superior; and a star pendant given to me by a relative that I crafted into a clip charm.


And the oh-so-noticeable glittery Hello Kitty? Uh, well, that's just super cute.


As fun as all this customizing has been, I have to wonder what kind of luck $5-apiece charms could really conjure. Could anything with "made in China" stamped on it really hold the wonder and magic I'm looking for?


Then again, maybe I'm looking at this all wrong.


Maybe it's more about the good vibes and positive feelings that come from having something meaningful or sentimental close at hand. If a Hello Kitty swinging from my wrist is what it takes for warm and fuzzy feelings to make all of the not-so-fun stuff less noticeable, then so be it.


Upside: I'll become a major contender at the bingo hall. Downside: Nothing happens, but I still have a funky, fabulous bracelet.


Time and a couple of lottery tickets will tell.


LINDSEY POISSON can be reached at 870-1871. Send e-mail to lindsey.poisson@timesnews.com.


-->