Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Woman hopes she found her lucky charm - New Bern Sun Journal

The other day, Edna Murphy Massey was looking over her yard at the home place where she grew up, and spotted a five-leaf clover.

The Tuscarora Rhems Road resident immediately thought that if the superstition was true, good fortune would come her way.

She can use some; she is hoping that somehow she would come up with the money for her $1,000 electric bill. “I’m scared that they are going to shut my lights off,” she said.

When she was a girl at the home where she still lives, she said the yard was covered with clover. “Sometime you would spot a four-leaf clover, but rarely,” she said.

As she grew older, she said more and more four-leaf clovers sprouted in the yard.

However, the five-leaf clover, which is a mutation affected by the weather and growing conditions, was seldom seen.

If she comes into money, she wants to help others.

“I have never looked for anything in return. I wear my heart on my sleeve. I love helping people and I don’t look for anything in return,” she said.

While her adopted son is in prison, finishing a murder sentence, she said she has had good luck in her life.

After her first marriage, she and her first love were united after more than 30 years of separation. They married in 2000 and he died in 2004.

“I was very luck and happy for that short period of time,” she said.

While some people put five-leaf clovers on eBay to sell, Massey said she is going to hold on to the clover and wait for good luck.

Francine Sawyer can be reached at 252-635-5671 or at fsawyer@freedomenc.com.

Posted via web from fourleafclovergoodluckcharms's posterous